Sunday, July 20, 2008

Banana Loaf



I got this recipe from a recipe book by Jessica Seinfeld tittled "Deceptively Delicious". When my sister-in-law told me about it,I was all puzzled by the book name but when I did some research on it, I realised its a book that every parent with a toddler would want to have. You see I have a fussy little eater who like most other children refuses vegetables or anything bordering on the nutritious side. It gives some great recipes and ideas on how to include vegetables to their food without them realising it. Have tried a few and they're awesome, will post them when i have time.
This recipe was intended as a tea time snack for my little girl, found it to be simply too sweet for my taste as a snack, I however love this for dessert, warm the loaf in a microwave for about 20 seconds and add some vanilla ice-cream to it, totally ROCKS!
The next time I makethis, I'd half the amount of sugar as I have a sneaking suspicion that this would be really nice when toasted and spread with maybe jam or peanut butter.
Here's the original recipe:-
3/4cup wheat flour
1/2cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil or any vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups banana puree
1/2 cup cauliflower puree (cooked cauliflower)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Mix the flours with the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon if using. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and oil with a wooden spoon until well combined. Mix in the egg whites, banana, and cauliflower purees and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just till combined.
Pour the batter into the load pan and bake at 160C for 55-60 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
p/s: I should have mentioned that if you're not intending for this recipe to be a kid's treat, you could omit the cauliflower puree, just add another 1/2 cup of mashed banana and further reduce the sugar as the banana's are sweet itself.

No comments: