Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hainan chilli dipping sauce






This is the chilli sauce that you'd get from the Malaysian chicken rice hawker stalls. I've made this numerous times and I just couldn't get the taste right until this time when i accidently poured in way more sugar than i intended. So there you go, its all in the sugar. Back in the days eating at the hawker stalls, I'd shamelessly lace my chicken rice with this sauce, thinking back now makes me feel so guilty.

I'll still make this, just won't be dousing my rice with it like i used to :)

Ingredients:- (portion for a small sauce plate)
2 big red chili with seeds
5cm ginger
4 garlic cloves

Seasonings:-
2 tbsp of lime juice/white vinegar
3 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt

Pound in a mortar & pestle or place in a blender to process the aromatics, when you get the consistency that you like, then add in the seasonings. Adjust taste to your liking

No comments: