Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Air fried Chicken Drumstick

This is one of the happiest results I've obtained from using my Philips air fryer so far ( only been 3 days). The drumsticks were so crunchy and NOT greasy it was sheer joy! I thought to myself I'd never be eating KFC again since i can have fried chicken without the unnecessary fats and guilt!

So happens after making this my hub bought me KFC immediately the next day just cause its my favorite. Couldn't bear to eat those wicked wings but aha a brilliant thought struck. When the KFC got home, they were all soggy and greasy after having been boxed up for a few hours. I placed them into the Philips airfryer at 160 degrees for about 15-20 minutes and they came out all crunchy (crunchier than if you'd have it fresh from the KFC outlet, in Australia that is since they do it soft fry) and it almost felt like it was grease less since all the extra grease were released into the pan when its air fried. But hub complained that without the greasy feel it didn't seem like KFC hahaha..

Back to the air fried chicken (spicy) recipe;

Ingredients:

-8 chicken drumsticks (the ones i got were pretty huge)
-2 cups of home made buttermilk (2 cups of milk added with 2 tbsp of white vinegar, leave it for
5 minutes before using)
-2 tsp of salt
-2 tsp of soy sauce
-dash of freshly ground black pepper
-2 tsp of garlic powder (substitute with fresh garlic if you're game to peel and chop some)
-2-3 tbsp of tobasco sauce
-2 tsp of paprika
-tapioca starch (bought the one meant for deep frying) mixed with some salt & pepper for coating the drumsticks

Marinade the drumsticks with all the above ingredients, overnight or for 30 minutes or more. Because I'm making this for my kids too, I didn't add in the tobasco sauce and paprika while marinating, instead I add them in at the last moment so I could make some without the spiciness for the kids and not having to marinade them in 2 separate bowls (anything to save up on washing).

Coat the drumsticks with tapioca starch mixed with some more salt & pepper.

Air fry them for 15 minutes (for very small drumsticks) or 20-25 minutes for large drumsticks at 180 degrees. Turn them over half time through cooking to ensure even crispiness.

Note: for maximum crunchiness do not overlap the drumsticks . I only airfried 3 at a time (again the were pretty huge).

Note to self: Check with Philips-some of the tapioca starch actually got blown out of the appliance while cooking, is this to expect of fine crumbs?

No comments: